Buglioni gears up to defend his British light-heavyweight title

By Dominique Stafford in Boxing

FRANK BUGLIONI will bid to retain his British light-heavyweight title against Ricky Summers at the O2 Arena on July 1.

The 28-year-old from Winchmore Hill, who fought for a world title at super-middleweight before deciding to move up a division, is making the first defence of the belt he won in dramatic fashion by overcoming Hosea Burton in a thrilling fight in Manchester in December.

Buglioni had been due to take on the undefeated Summers in March but was forced to withdraw from the fight after suffering a bad cut in training.

However, he has now fully recovered and is looking forward to topping the bill on a busy night of boxing action at the world-famous venue.

“I felt sick with the injury at the time, but I’m raring to go now,” said Buglioni. “I saw the surgeon and he said that my skin is fine and that I’m not susceptible to cuts so that’s a positive for me. It was the headguard that caused it, so we’ve changed that.

“I live in the gym, always keeping sharp and fit so it was a setback, but I’m on track and I’m thrilled to be topping the bill at the O2.

“There’s no light-heavyweight in Britain that can beat me, including Nathan Cleverley, so line them up. It’s a new chapter in my career. Hosea is above British level and I beat him, so I think that shows how good I am. I want to win the Lonsdale belt outright and then move on to European and World honours, and if the rematch with Hosea presents itself, great.”

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C