Victory at Morecambe sees Barnet put disappointing run behind them

By Dominique Stafford in Football

BARNET put their disappointing run of results behind them on Tuesday night by easing to a 1-0 victory at Morecambe in EFL League Two.

The Bees had only picked up two points from their previous five matches to deal a blow to their hopes of making the play-offs, but a second-half header from Tom Champion enabled them to get back on track with a hard-fought triumph.

“It was very professional and an excellent Barnet display,” interim head coach Rossi Eames told the club’s official website. “In recent weeks we haven’t really been at it and haven’t competed enough – that wasn’t the case here.

“I said to the boys that the way they defended so resolutely was excellent, as was the team spirit, the shape and the camaraderie between them.

“The team chose to run hard and there was some very nice football, but there are still things that we can improve and work on.”

Although Mauro Vilhete headed Jamal Campbell-Ryce’s cross wide for the visitors, there was little action of note until More-cambe were reduced to ten men on 26 minutes as Peter Murphy saw red for a reckless tackle on Ruben Bover.

Six minutes later Barnet were presented with a golden opportunity to take the lead as they were awarded a penalty for a push on John Akinde by Ryan Edwards. The prolific striker picked himself up to take the spot kick, but his effort lacked power and keeper Barry Roche was able to make a comfortable save.

Roche was called into action again moments later when he did well to keep out Vilhete’s low drive, but the Bees generally struggled to make their extra man count prior to the interval.

However, the second half saw Barnet become much more dominant and Campbell-Ryce almost got on the end of a Charlie Clough cross before the same player fired just wide.

And the Bees finally made their pressure tell on 65 minutes when Bover played a corner short to Campbell-Ryce who delivered a cross which Champion powerfully headed into the net from six yards out.

The visitors continued to hold the upper hand after taking the lead and Campbell-Ryce had a shot from a narrow angle charged down by Alex Whitmore, before Roche made a fine save with his legs to thwart Akinde.

The second goal did not come, but it made no difference to the outcome as the Bees comfortably held on for a deserved victory.

Barnet host promotion-chasing Portsmouth on Saturday (3pm).

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C